First name(s) / Surname(s) Andrea Cardia
Address Via Goldoni 62, 20129, Milano (Italy)
Telephone(s) 0039-0282244600 Mobile 0039-338/9721678
E-mail(s) email@example.com – firstname.lastname@example.org
Date of birth 15/07/1973
Dates 03/08/2003 – 15/04/2011
Occupation or position held Associate chief Neurosurgeon in the Department of Neurosurgery of Istituto IRCCS Galeazzi, Milano (Chief: Dr. Maurizio Fornari).From December 2005 to April 2011 Section Head of Vascular Neurosurgery
Main activities and responsibilities Management of neurovascular section. Brain Tumor, Skull base and Spine. Coordination of the team.Clinical and Laboratory research
Name and address of employer Istituto IRCCS Galeazzi – Via R. Galeazzi 4, 20121 Milano (Italy)
Type of business or sector Neurosurgery
Dates 22/04/2011 →
Occupation or position held Section Head of Vascular Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology. Associate chief Neurosurgeon in the Department of Neurosurgery ofIstituto Clinico Humanitas, IRCCS Rozzano – MI (Chief: Dr. Maurizio Fornari)
Main activities and responsibilities Management of neurovascular section, Brain tumor, Skull base, Endoscopy and spine.Coordination of the team. Microsurgical LAB
Name and address of employer Istituto Clinico Humanitas, IRCCS – Via Alessandro Manzoni 56, 20089 Rozzano (MI) (Italy)
Type of business or sector Neurosurgery
Education and training
Dates 1992 – 1998
Title of qualification awarded Medical School of the University of Cagliari with Degree in Medicine with full marks: final evaluation 110 / 110 cum laude. Experimental thesis entitled: “treatment of spontaneous intracerebral haematoma: stereotactic experience”.
Name and type of organisation providing education and training Università degli Studi di Cagliari
Dates 1998 – 2003
Title of qualification awarded • Resident in Neurosurgery in the Department of Neurosurgery of the University of Milan in the Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico of Milan (Chief: Prof. R. M. Villani)
Name and type of organisation providing education and training Università degli Studi di Milano
Title of qualification awarded
Name and type of organisation providing education and training
Personal skills and competences
Mother tongue(s) Italian
Other language(s) English
Self-assessment Understanding Speaking W r i t i n g
European level (*) Listening Reading Spoken interaction Spoken production
English C1 Proficient user C2 Proficient user C1 Proficient user C1 Proficient user C2 Proficient user
(*) Common European Framework of Reference (CEF) level
Social skills and competences Very good team leadership, human approach with patients
Organisational skills and competences – Management and coordination of the team- Good experience in developing project, budget and business plan- Good experience in management and organization of research trial
Technical skills and competences
• Overall experience: about 7000 operations, more than 2000 as 1st surgeon. In the latest years performed about 300 major surgical procedures as 1st surgeon. Main Surgical Activities: Vascular Neurosurgery, Endoscopic Neurosurgery, Skull Base and Spinal Surgery
• Able to run independently neurosurgical intervention for:
-Neurovascular surgery (aneurysms, AVM, cavernous angioma),
– Spinal Surgery: Cervical- lumbar disc herniation and stenosis, Spine trauma. Spinal tumours. Vertebroplasty
-Endoscopic Surgery (with experience in 3D endoscopic technique)
-Skull Base Surgery
-Brain Tumors; gliomas, meningiomas, posterior fossa lesions.
Computer skills and competences Good command of Microsoft Office™ tools (Word™, Excel™ and PowerPoint™)Good knowledge of graphic design applications (Adobe Illustrator™, PhotoShop™)
Artistic skills and competences Photography
Driving licence(s) A and B
INTERNATIONAL PUBBLICATIONS 1. “Stenting of artherosclerotic stenosis of extracranial carotid artery”. Pappadà G, Marina R, Fiori L, Agostoni E, Lanterna A, Cardia A, Ferrarese C, Beghi E, Gaini SM Acta Neurochir 143. Oct 2001 1005-1011. 2. “L’emorragia subaracnoidea perimesencefalica: una entità clinica e neuroradiologica distinta tra le emorragie subaracnoidee” Riv. Med Vol 7 N° 3-4 2001 pag 75-87.
3. “Endoscope assisted infratentorial-supracerebellar approach to the third ventricle: an anatomical study”. A. Cardia et al. J. Neurosurg (6 suppl pediatrics) 104:409-411 June 2006.
4. “Deep-Seated Cerebral Cavernous Malformations”. A.Cardia et al. Book “Cavernous Malformations of the Brain and Spinal Cord”. G. Lanzino. R. Spetzler.. In press Thieme Medical Publishers.
5. “A microsurgical study of the anatomy and course of the ophthalmic artery and its possibly dangerous anastomoses” Perrini P, Cardia A, Fraser K, Lanzino G. J.Neruosurg 106:1-5, Jan 2007
6. “Degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis: analysis of results in a series of 374 patients treated with unilateral laminotomy for bilateral microdecompression. Costa F, Sassi M, Cardia A, Ortolina A, De Santis A, Luccarelli G, Fornari M. J Neurosurg Spine. 2007 Dec;7(6):579-86.
7. “Microsurgical Management of pineal region leions: personal experience with 119 patients” Hernesniemi J, Romani R, Albayrak BS, LethoH, Dashti R, Ramsey C 3rd, Karatas A, Cardia A, Navratil O, Piippo A, Fujiki M, Toninelli S, Niemela M. Surg Neurol. 2008 Dec;70(6):576-83
11. “Efficacy of treatment with percutaneous vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty for traumatic fracture of thoracolumbar junction”. Costa F, Ortolina A, Cardia A, Sassi M, De Santis A, Borroni M, Savoia G, Fornari M. J Neurosurg Sci. 2009 Mar;53(1):13-7
12. “Perioperative cortisol allows to predict hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal status in clinically non functioning pituitary adenomas”. Cozzi R, Lasio G, Cardia A, Felisati G, Montini M, Attanasio R. J Endocrinol Invest. 2009 Apr 29
13. “Cervical synovial cyst: case report and review of literature”. Costa F, Menghetti C, Cardia A, Fornari M, and Ortolina A. Eur Spine J. Jul 15, 2009.
14. La chirurgia ipofisaria endoscopica: una nuova arma nelle nostre mani. Lasio G, Attanasio R, Maccari A, Cardia A, Costa F, Felisati G. L’endocrinologo. 2010 Vol 11 ( 4): 166-168 .
15. Spinal Navigation: standard pre-operative versus intra-operative Computed Tomography data set acquisition for computer-guidance system. Radiological and clinical study in 100 consecutive patients. Costa F, Cardia A, Ortolina A, Galbusera F, Zerbi A, Fornari M. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2011 Nov 15;36(24):2094-8.
16. Treatment of spondylotic cervical myelopathy: Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF) with a modular plate-cage system (PCB) in the single and multilevel cervical myelopathy. Costa F, Cardia A, Ortolina A, Galbusera F, Menghetti C, De Santis A, Zerbi A, Fornari M. Neurosurg Quaterly. 2011, in press.
17. Stand-alone cage for Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) in the treatment of high-degree Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD): design of a new device for an “old” technique. A prospective study on a series of 116 patients. F Costa, M Sassi; A Ortolina; A Cardia; R Assetti; A Zerbi; M Lorenzetti; F Galbusera; and M Fornari. Eur Spine J. 2011 May; 20 Suppl 1:S46-56.
18. Evaluation of the rate of decompression in anterior cervical corpectomy using an intra-operative computerized tomography scan (O-Arm system). Costa F, Tomei M, Sassi M, Cardia A, Ortolina A, Servello D, Fornari M. Eur Spine J. 2012 Feb;21(2):359-63
19. Transnasal £D endoscopic skull basesurgery: questionnaire-based of the learning curve in 52 procedures. Felisati G, Pipolo C, Maccari A, Cardia A, Revay M, Lasio GB. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2013 Jan 6
20. Primary stability of pedicle screws depends on the screw positioning and alignment. Costa F, Villa T, Anasetti F, Tomei M, Ortolina A, Cardia A, La Barbera L, Fornari M, Galbusera F. Spine J. 2013 May 14.
21. Endoscopic expanded endonasal approach: preliminary experience with the new 3D endoscope. Felisati G, Lenzi R, Pipolo C, Maccari A, Messina F, Revay M, Lania A, Cardia A, Lasio G. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2013 Apr;33(2):102-6.
22. Instrumented fusion surgery in elderly patients (over 75 years old): clinical and radiological results in a series of 53 patients. Costa F, Ortolina A, Tomei M, Cardia A, Zekay E, Fornari M. Eur Spine J. 2013 Sep 20.
23. Neurosurgery tricks of the trade. Spine and peripheral nerves. Gragnaniello C, Costa F, Nader R, Cardia A, Lasio G, Fornari M (2014). Intradural extramedullary tumors: spinal schwannomas. In: Nader R; Berta S; Gragnaniello C; Sabbagh AJ; Levy ML. vol. 59, STUTTGART – NEW YORK:Thieme medical publishers, ISBN: 9781604069143
24. Economic study: a cost-effectiveness analysis of an intraoperative compared with a preoperative image-guided system in lumbar pedicle screw fixation in patients with degeneretive spondylolisthesis. Costa F, Porazzi E, Restelli U, Foglia E, Cardia A, Ortolina A, Tomei M. Fornari M, Banfi G. Spine J. 2013 Oct31. pii: S 1529-9430(13)01614-8
June 1999 Neurokirurgiska Kliniken of Karolynska Hispital of Stockholm, Chief Prof. I. Langmoen. Functional, Skull base and Vascular experience.1
7-22/06/2002 “Study Group of Microsurgical and Endoscopic Anatomy” During this period Neuroendoscopy procedures, Endoscopic assisted Microneurosurgery and surgical approches to the skull-base on anatomic specimens under the supervision of Prof. M. Tschabitscher. 1° Stage “Infratentorial-supracerebellar endoscopic-assisted, approach to the III ventricle: anatomic study”. Wien
9-13/12/2002 “Study Group of Microsurgical and Endoscopic Anatomy: dissection course”. During this period Neuroendoscopy procedures, Endoscopic assisted Microneurosurgery and surgical approches to the skull-base on anatomic specimens under the supervision of Prof. M. Tschabitscher. 2°Stage of “Infratentorial-supracerebellar endoscopic-assisted, approach to the III ventricle: anatomic study”. Wien
From 10 of January – 10 of may 2004 Neurosurgery Microsurgery Research Fellowship Program – Neurosurgical LAB –University of Illinois- Prof G.Lanzino –Peoria. Anatomical study about ophtalmic artery.
10-23 October 2005 “Neurovascular and Skull Base” stage Neurosurgical departement of Toolo Hospital, Helsinki, Finland under the supervision of Prof Juha Hernesniemi. During the stage 23 microsurgical neurovascular operations and 10 skull base tumors. Neuroradiological meeting, daily Intensive Care Unit rounds and frequent using of operative video archive. Helsinki
Dal 19 marzo al 10 aprile 2015 Neurovascular stage UCSF San Francisco. Prof M.Lawton
Intensive hands-on course on skull base surgery: the control of the large vessels at the skull base. Subtemporal-infratemporal-transzygomatic approach and postero-lateral approach control of vertebral artery and jugular foramen.Prof Sekhar-Prof George-Milan, May 2000
Second intensive hands-on course on skull base surgery. Surgical approaches to the sellar tumors. Milano, May 2001
10-20 September 2001 Mount Sinai Hospital, New York: Anatomical study of intrapetous ICA – Dr Chen – Chief Prof. Post.
24-30/08/2002 First EANS course “Tumors and pediatric neurosurgery”-Prague.
2-7/02/2003 Second EANS course “Functional neurosurgery, Head injury & pediatric neurosurgery”. Bonn.
23-26 Feb 2003 “Image guided skull base surgery”, Barrow Neurological Institute di Phoenix under the supervision of Prof. R. Spetzler.
5-9 May 2003 “Gamma Knife course”, Lugo di Cotignola (RV). Prof E.Motti
20-24 October 2003 dissection course “Lateral Skull Base Approach”. Casa di cura Piacenza. Gruppo Otologico under the supervision of Prof M.Sanna.
1-5 March 2004 dissection course “Microsurgery of Aneurysms recent advances” under the supervision of Prof Yasargil. Saint Louis University school of Medicine.
28-30 April 2004 dissection course “Surgical Approaches to the Skull Base” under the supervision of Prof. Al Mefty. Saint Louis University school of Medicine.
14 January 2004. “The balloon Kyphoplasty Surgeon Training Program”. Leiden. Holland
2-6 October 2006 Microsurgical Training Course (anastomosi termino-terminali, termino-laterali e artero-venose su ratti) presso il Laboratorio dell’Università di Zurigo diretto dal Prof. Yonekawa e sotto la supervisione di A.Flick.
11-14 January 2007 “7th Annual International Congress on Cerebral Revascularization”. Saint Louis University school of medicine.
Dal 11-14 Maggio 2007 “Microsurgical course-revascularization” diretto dal Prof Steiger e Dr Sabel-Università di Duesseldorf-Germania
COURSES AS FACULTY
2 – 5 October 2008 “II Corso avanzato di chirurgia del basicranio:Italian skull base dissection course “Fukushima Style” as Faculty Staff. Directors Prof A.Ducati e Dr A.Taborelli. Menaggio (Como)
24-27 settembre 2009 “III Corso avanzato di chirurgia del basicranio: Italian skull base dissection course “Fukushima Style” as Faculty Staff. Directors Prof A.Ducati e Dr A.Taborelli. Menaggio (Como)
27-28 September “Cervical spine surgery: advanced dissection course” as Faculty Staff. Directors Prof A.Ducati e Dr M. Fornari. Menaggio (Como)
26 of February to 1th march 2010 ”Skull base dissection course” as Faculty Staff. Director Prof Ph. Stieg and Prof A. Bernardo. Palm Beach – Florida.
12-13 May 2010 ha partecipato in qualità di Faculty Staff al “Cervical spine surgery: advanced dissection course” as Faculty Staff. Directors Prof A.Ducati e Dr M. Fornari. Menaggio (Como)
13-16 May 2010 “Corso base di chirurgia del basicranio: Italian skull base dissection course “Fukushima Style” as Faculty staff and speaker “Step By Step dissezione Orbita”. Directors Prof A.Ducati e Dr A. Taborelli. Menaggio (Como)
3-7 March 2011 ”Skull base dissection course” as Faculty Staff. Director Prof Ph. Stieg and Prof A. Bernardo. Palm Beach – Florida.
13-18 December 2011 ”Skull base dissection course” as Faculty Staff. Director Prof Ph. Stieg and Prof A. Bernardo. Cornell University. New York
June 2012 “Skull base course” as Faculty Staff. Director Prof Renato Galzio. L’Aquila
10-14 December 2012 “Skull base course” as Faculty Staff. Director Prof Ph. Stieg and Prof A. Bernardo. Cornell University. New York
June 2013 “Skull base course” as Faculty Staff. Director Prof Renato Galzio. L’Aquila
19-21 March 2014. “Approcci al Basicranio Anteriore” as faculty staff. Prof A.Ducati, Prof R.Delfini, Prof M. Naddeo